December 19, 2014

Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake

Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake
Am I the only one so excited about every new cake I make?  I always say that exactly this particular cake is the best I have ever made! There is something magical about making a cake. First of all, cakes are beautiful. Secondly, you never know exactly whether it all will go right. Sometimes it just doesn't work (especially on the stage of making a frosting - I own that frostings are my weak point). But the most thrilling part is assembling. Actually, I never know how my cake will look like. I can picture every detail in my head and live with it for a week. But when the time comes and I begin layering the cake, usually I end up with something completely different. Isn't it magic? Magic of creation.
 
Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake

Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake
Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake
Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake
To tell the truth, when I started this blog, I didn't think it will become a cake blog. The point is that food must be tempting. And at the very beginning my skills in decorating cakes were far from being perfect. But after each new cake I've got a taste for it. Making cakes has become my addiction. I want to make more and more cakes.!!  Because they are so beautiful. Beauty created with my own hands! Also I have noticed one interesting rule. When I put my heart and soul into the cake, it  always turns out great.

Like this one I made for my father's birthday.Usually I rack my brain choosing a cake recipe. This time I didn't have to. It was destiny.The recipe is from  Linda Lomelino's  first book (I have shared on my instagram that I've finally received a copy of her book , a copy of an amazing book with 27 amazing cakes!). This cake has one of the first noticed my attention.  And when Linda advised exactly this one, I had no doubts!

Besides, my father can't stand up against anything chocolate.    
Chocolate & Espresso B-Day CakeChocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake

Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake

Notes
1. Linda recommends using salted butter in this recipe for both cake layers and frosting, while a combination of chocolate and salty flavors is already the classics (at least for me, as you could have noticed already). I always add a pinch of salt into any cake batter (if use unsalted butter), because salt help sugar to react more intense with other ingredients. But if you don't like salty notes in chocolate frosting, you can totally leave it out in .
2. To make this cake I've used only one 6-inch  pan (don't have time to buy the second one...it might be a good Christmas present for myself!:) ). I have just divided the batter in two batches(450 ml each) and baked the layers one after another.
3. This is an important one! In the book Linda says to bake cake layers for 30 -35 minutes at the temperature of 350 F (180°C). After 30 minutes of baking I still had completely uncooked batter. I had to bake each batch for 60 minutes. Maybe it is my oven, or my pan (it remains a secret for me). So, be very patient and after 30 minuter check the layers with a toothpick, if it comes out clean - perfect. If not, continue baking until the cake is ready.
Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake
Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake


Chocolate and Espresso B-Day Cake
makes one 6-inch (15 cm) 4-layer cake
slightly adapted from Lomelino's Cake by Linda Lomelino

for the cake
75 g salted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature (see Notes)
2 cups flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1  1/2 tsp baking powder
1  2/3 cups granulated sugar
2 medium eggs
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp milk
2/3 cup espresso or boiling water

for chocolate and espresso frosting
200 g dark (70%) chocolate
320 g salted butter, room temperature (see Notes)
1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp espresso (or whipping cream, for a milder flavor)

Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake
Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake


To make the cake
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180°C)
  2. Butter and dust with cocoa powder two 6-inch cake pans (see Notes).
  3. Sift together in a large bowl all dry ingredients, beat in eggs, milk, coffee and butter.
  4. Divide the batter between two prepared pans.
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes (see Notes!)
  6. Let cool for 15 minutes in the pans, unmold onto the wire rack and let cool completely before assembling.
To make chocolate and espresso frosting
  1. Melt the chocolate on in a double boiler (see Notes) and let cool to room temperature.
  2. Beat the butter until light and creamy, add confectioners' sugar and cocoa powder in small batches, beating well after each.
  3. Mix in melted chocolate and vanilla extract.
  4. Add gradually espresso or whipping cream and beat until the frosting is smooth (about 2 minutes).
To assemble
  1. If the top of the layers is rounded, even it out with the knife. Then cut each layer in half so that you have four cake layers.
  2. Fill the cake with chocolate and espresso frosting, leaving some to cover the cake.
  3. Make a crumb coat and refrigerate the cake for 20 minutes. After the cake has chilled, spread the remaining frosting around the cake.
Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake
Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake
Chocolate & Espresso B-Day Cake

- Xo xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment